The Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) regarding HKIA's third runway project is exhibited for public inspection until the 19th of July 2014. As direct victims to this project, the dolphins need your help to fight for their home. Please help them to voice out their cries!
Why Does The Campaign Matter?
- Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) has proposed to construct a third runway as an extension to the north of their current location. The expansion will be Hong Kong's second largest reclamation project covering more than 650 hectares which will destroy the habitat of Chinese white dolphins forever.
- The dolphin population in Hong Kong has been rapidly decreasing during the past decade. Numbers have drop from 158 in 2003 to only 63 in 2013.
- Dolphins in Hong Kong have been constantly facing numerous threats. Lately, their are already struggling to survive the adverse effects brought by the construction of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge.
- The third runway project poses as another severe threat to Hong Kong's dolphins whom are already fighting a seemingly losing battle of survival.
- Raise public awareness and concern for the dolphins in order to voice out the dolphins' cries of help.
- Submit 10,000 comment forms to EPD & ACE regarding problems with the EIA report for HKIA's third runway expansion project.
public pressure to ensure the government and ACE members to hold the
EIA report at a high standard and keep the dolphins' best interest in
Who are the Victims？
- At least 45-50 dolphins are direct victims of the runway project as the proposed reclamation will destroy their habitat forever.
- We selected 30 most affected chinese white dolphins in attempt to inspire the Hong Kong public with their stories. The third runway expansion will destroy their home forever, and we hope that people can voice out their cries for them by submitting comment forms to EPD during the 30 day window. The EIA report is open to public comments.